Agricultural employment in California
2013 agricultural workforce survey
California farmers and ranchers: Take the online survey to share your experience with finding enough employees to help tend and harvest crops in 2013. The survey is confidential and we expect it will take less than 5 minutes to complete.
2012 agricultural workforce survey
Nearly two-thirds of farmers who responded to a 2012 survey by the California Farm Bureau Federation said they experienced challenges finding enough employees to help tend and harvest crops. In response to this widespread challenge, CFBF, in partnership with the Agricultural Workforce Coalition, shared with legislators the unique workforce needs of California farms. Priorities for CFBF include flexibility to account for the unpredictable, seasonal labor needs on farms in California and throughout the nation.
The results of the 2012 online Farm Bureau survey included responses from nearly 800 of its members about their experience during the harvest season. Access the report, "Walking the Tightrope: California Farmers Struggle with Employee Shortages" (PDF, 334 KB). The organization has developed a similar survey for the 2013 harvest, and invites California farmers and ranchers to participate.
- Immigration reform must provide flexibility, farm leader says (April 17, 2013)
- Farmers report widespread employee shortages in survey (December 4, 2012")
- On-farm labor: As harvest pace builds, farmers report shortages (June 12, 2013)
- House members introduce immigration reform bills (May 1, 2013)
- Immigration bill debate begins in U.S. Senate (April 24, 2013)
- Immigration: Senate readies provisions for farm employees (April 17, 2013)
- Farm Bureau tells Congress members about immigration (April 10, 2013)
- Commentary: The time is now for comprehensive immigration reform (April 10, 2013)
- Farmers press Congress for immigration bill (March 13, 2013)
- President's message: Immigration reform: Is it really different this time? (February 6, 2013)
- Immigration plan is encouraging, farm groups say (January 30, 2013)
- CFBF survey: Farmers report challenges hiring help for harvest (December 5, 2012)
- AOL Jobs, Farm Work: The Job That No American Wants?
- Capital Public Radio: California farmers having trouble finding workers
- Gannett News Service: Salinas Valley hit by farm worker shortage plaguing rest of U.S.
- Los Angeles Times: Surveyed California farmers say they can't find enough workers
- KFSN, Channel 30, Fresno: Farmers join the fight for immigration reform
- The Packer: California growers report tight labor supply
- Sacramento Bee: Over 60% of California farmers report labor shortages
- Santa Rosa Press-Democrat: Farmers say workers hard to find
- The Visalia Times-Delta: Valley hit by worker shortage plaguing rest of U.S.
- Watsonville Register-Pajaronian: The time is ripe for immigration reform, say farmers