From its beginnings, the California Farm Bureau Federation has worked to protect and promote family farms and ranches, and to find solutions to problems facing agriculture and rural communities.
CFBF was founded on Oct. 23, 1919, when delegates from 32 county Farm Bureaus met in Berkeley to create the statewide organization, which was initially housed on the University of California campus. The university and its Cooperative Extension Service prompted the founding of Farm Bureau.
In order for the extension service to bring its educational programs to a county, it had to establish a farm organization in that county. The first California county to create a Farm Bureau was Humboldt in 1913, followed by Yolo, San Joaquin and San Diego counties the following year.
The founding of CFBF allowed for the statewide organization to pursue a broader policy agenda separate from the extension service. Early in its history, CFBF formed units to represent its members in the courts, the Legislature and the media.
Increased awareness of the need to deal directly with legislators and government agencies prompted CFBF to move its offices to Sacramento in 1979, after 60 years in Berkeley. CFBF moved to its current offices at 2600 River Plaza Drive in 2019.
Throughout its history, CFBF has maintained a reputation for innovative programs aimed at providing the best possible services to farmers and rural residents.